Tomb Raider 1 Walkthrough
Tomb Raider is a classic adventure/action game released in 1996. It was hailed as one of the best action adventure games to date and starred the sultry British archaeologist, Lara Croft, who goes in search of a mystical relic in the tombs of Peru.
Tomb Raider 1 spans 15 levels and includes exotic places such as ancient ruins in south America, Africa and even Atlantis. The controls for Tomb Raider area little dated but the gameplay and story line are still fantastic.
Lara is hired by the CEO of Natla Technologies to go to Peru and find a coveted artifact. During her journey there she realizes the artifact is only a small fragment of a much larger ancient relic. She travels around the world, finally ending her journey in the city of Atlantis.
Tomb Raider Tips
Each level has a number of secrets that you can find. I’ll include locations for all Tomb Raider secrets in the walkthroughs for each level.
While the controls may seem a little difficult by today’s standards once you know all the movements you should have no trouble navigating Lara around the caves and cities. Here are all of the possible movements/actions for Lara.
- Run – Use the arrow keys to move Lara around. Left and right to turn her.
- Walk – Hold Shift while using the arrow keys to walk.
- Hop Backwards – Tap the back arrow to have her hop backwards.
- Sidestep – Use the Del and Page Down keys to make her strafe left and right.
- Roll and turn 180 degrees – Press End to have Lara roll forwards and then turn to face the opposite direction.
- Jump – Press Alt for jump
- Jump/Flip – Use the arrow keys + Alt to jump forwards, backwards or to the sides.
- Running Jump – Up arrow to run and then Alt.
- Jump & Grab – Jump and hold the action key (Ctrl) to jump and grab onto a ledge.
- Dive – Press Alt while in the water to dive and swim underwater.
- Swan Dive – This can be used to jump into water or if on land to do a swan dive followed by a roll. Press Shift + Alt + Up Arrow.
- Draw weapon – Press Space to pull your weapon out. Press Space again to put it away.
- Action (Pull lever/Shoot weapon/Climb) – The Ctrl key is the action key and is used to shoot while holding a gun, use levers and keys or climb.
- Look – Press 0 on the keypad with the arrows keys to look around.
- Pull or Push block – Ctrl with either up key to push or back key to pull.
- Handstand up to ledge – While hanging from a ledge with Ctrl, press Shift + Up Arrow.
Tomb Raider Walkthrough
Level 1: The Caves – After losing her companion to wild wolves Lara enters the caves in search of the hidden artifact.
Level 2: City of Vilcabamba – Working her way through the caves Lara descends upon the City of Vilcabamba.
Level 3: The Lost Valley – Enter into the lost valley with ancient temples, hidden secrets and huge dinosaurs!
Level 4: Tomb of Qualopec – Hidden inside the tomb is a piece of the Scion. Find it and make your way out again.
Level 5: St Francis’ Folly – Find the four keys from the four rooms of the Gods while avoiding being sniped by Pierre DuPont.
Level 6: Colloseum – Fight lions and gorillas in the ancient Colosseum. You’ll also find some Magnum guns here.
Level 7: Palace Midas – Find the control room to open the doors which are hiding the lead bars. It’s rumored here that it’s possible to turn lead into gold!
Level 8: Cistern – Find the keys, flood the cistern and make your way to the exit while watching out for crocodiles and sewer rats.
Level 9: Tomb of Tihocan – Work your way through the passageways to the tomb. Here you’ll have your final confrontation with Pierre DuPont.
Level 10: City of Khamoon – Lara travels to Egypt to find the final piece of the Scion.
Level 11: Obelisk of Khamoon – Locate the four artifacts and take them back to the Obelisk.
Level 12: Sanctuary of the Scion – Enter into the giant Sphinx.
Level 13: Natla’s Mines – Lara was apprehended by bad guys but managed to get away. Recover your weapons and take down each of the bad guys.
Level 14: Atlantis – Make your way to the top of the Great Pyramid.
Level 15: The Great Pyramid – Get ready for the final battle!